Saturday, April 18, 2015

Poetry Pair: "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack and "If" by Rudyard Kipling

I was just in the car listening to music and one of my favorites came on, "I Hope You Dance", by Lee Ann Womack. I am not usually into Country music, but her song transcends all genres. Such a lovely song and filled with advice for young people. As I pondered the lyrics I was reminded of another favorite: The poem "If", by Rudyard Kipling. A poem about advice to a young man growing into manhood. If I am ever lucky enough to have a son, this poem will be framed above his... bed. So, I am feeling another Poetry Pair Lesson coming on! Look for it soon at LiteracyLightbulb! Until then, enjoy my other best-selling poetry pairs!

Tupac's "Dear Momma" and "Mother to Son" by Langston Hughes
"Superwoman" by Alicia Keys and "Phenomenal Woman" by Maya Angelou
"Firework" by Katie Perry and "George Gray" by Edgar Lee Masters
https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Literacylightbulb



My lessons are frequently inspired by music and current events all around us.  I love to tie in something that is close to the lives of teenagers with something they normally think is not relevant to their lives.  The result:  I love hearing students say that they actually like the poem better than the song---usually from the students who were the loudest saying "I hate poetry!"  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment